Snapshot:
Today my daughter Hannah asked me "What if I had choosen to do gymnastics instead of dance? How good would I be?" As I was answering her with the typical parent response of "Well, I don't know. You choose to focus on dance, because that is what you like the most." She responded with "But now I'm not any good at it and everyone else is better than me." What she said is true. Her peer group that she was with 2 years ago is better than her now.
Thought:
Really it's about having an opportunity presented to you and choosing whether or not to accept it. Hannah has had more than ample opportunites to become a gymnast. She has spent hours and hours at the gym since she was born. (Probably the reason she has a love/hate relationship with the gym.) But she also had the opportunity to dance and she choose to persue that. Her hard work is paying off, Hannah is a wonderful dancer and that truly is her talent - not gymnastics. (kind of tough for a gymnastics coach to admit).
Hannah's "what if" question is a tough one, but it is a great reminder that every single day, I am presented with opportunies to choose from...play with my kids vs. work...exercise vs. eating...read vs. TV...satisfy my husband vs. me...
I struggle with making decisions and committing to them. Maybe if I think of them as opportunites, I'll be more likely to choose the right one like Hannah did.
Alright let me try this again.... The first comment was really good...
ReplyDeleteThere was a song my Grandma used to sing to me often as a child. It is called "Little Purple Pansies"
1. Little purple pansies, touched with yellow gold,Growing in one corner of the garden old;
We are very tiny but must try, try, try
Just one spot to gladden, you and I.
2. In whatever corner we may chance to grow,
Whether cold or warm the wind may ever blow,
Dark the day or sunny, we must try, try, try
Just one spot to gladden, you and I.
I have a friend that mentioned to me that she wanted to leave her mark on this world.. Do something that she could be remembered for and change peoples lives because of it. Only problem was she felt is she couldn't do in Moscow ID... So she doesn't work at it. I feel sad for this outlook.
I think each of us want to feel special and have something unique that is only "us". I like what you say about Opportunity rather than just a Choice... Life is an adventure full of many Opportunities that we can Choose to learn and grow from. It is my goal in life to be happy. To be balanced. To be Healthy. I want to simply Love what I am doing even if it is not changing the world. It is changing me. I love you!! Keep writing! ♥
Okay... so where is the rest?? ;-) I'm your stalker.. okay that was like a creeper...
ReplyDelete